To say the past year has been a roller-coaster ride isn’t an adequate cliche. It’s been more like I was strapped to a NASA KC-135 Vomit Comet that didn’t ever land, and I’ve been vacillating between enjoying the weightlessness of free-fall and getting covered in my own puke on the upswings.
Awesome things that happened:
- I spent a week in Italy, mostly on a whim.
- I finally learned how to ice skate
- I got my second tattoo
- I graduated Geneseo with a B.A. and honors
- WGSU beat GSTV in softball for the first time in, like, a real long time
- I got my first DSLR
- I drove to Colorado and spent a summer there, hiked in the Rockies and made some excellent friends
- Went to my first MLS game
- Went to Bermuda and did a bunch of kayaking
- Started at Mashable
- Got a place in NYC
That’s a pretty great list for only a year of existence.
The looming shadow over all of this is really my grandpa’s passing. It remains incredibly difficult to even process that I don’t get to spend any more Saturdays with Pa, but I think he’d be pretty damn proud of this list and where I’m headed.
Here’s what I’m shooting for in 2012:
- Kick inhuman amounts of ass as a reporter with Mashable
- Settle in to the NYC life with Erin
- Visit Peru and Iceland
- Learn to Ski. Or snowboard. Either one.
- Keep reading prolifically
- See more shows and keep up with new albums. I slacked on this one in the later half of 2011.
- Keep learning. Always.
2012: Bring it on, bring it on, bring it on.